Luís Costa Lab
The Clinical and Translational Oncology Research Unit studies mechanisms of tumor invasion and progression in metastatic setting particularly in organs such as bone and liver. We aim to contribute for the identification of molecular markers representative as risk factor for metastases occurrence and possible therapeutic targets. The research will be performed mostly in human neoplastic tissue and results are to be correlated with clinical information. We also aim to develop translational research in the area of target enzymes for antineoplastic agents, namely topoisomerase inhibitors, and contribute to gain insight into the mechanisms that modulate the cytotoxity of drugs that target topoisomerase I and II.
» Research Areas
» Group Leader
» Research Team
MD (1985) at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon
PhD (2002) in Medical Oncology at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon
Postdoctoral research at Santa Maria Hospital and IMM, Lisbon
Director of the Oncology Division at the Santa Maria Hospital in Lisbon
» Ongoing Research Projects
2007/10 - Mechanisms of invasion and progression of cancer in bone: Role of matrix metalloproteinases (in collaboration with Pathology Division, Neurosurgery Division and Orthopedic Division- HSM)
2007/09 - Molecular Markers of Bone Metastasis (in collaboration with Pathology Division, Neurosurgery Division and Orthopedic Division- HSM)
2006/10 - Genetic Polymorphism of Erytrocyte Acid Phosphatase (ACP1) and Biochemical Response to Bisphosphonate Theraty in Bone Metastases (in collaboration with Genetics Lab – FML)
2006/09 - Bisphosphonates and Taxanes in Bone Metastasis: pre-clinical and clinical evidence of synergistic interaction (in collaboration with Genetics Lab – FML and fellows of the Oncology Division)
2008/10 - Analysis of RANK/RANKL and MMPs in clinical samples of solid tumors bone metastases (in collaboration with AMGEN)
2007/08 - Biochemical characterization of tumor, metastasis and metastasis-related stroma extracellular matrix (GAPIC)
2008/11 - Prognostic Signatures in Colorectal Cancer (in collaboration with Surgery Department and Pathology Division)
2008/12 - Stromal-epithelial interactions in rectal cancer: Role of Chemoradiotherapy- induced senescence in clinical outcome (in collaboration with Surgery Department and Pathology Division)
2008/10 - Laboratory Procedures to couple with Phase I Trial (LBH plus Topoisomerase II inhibitor) (in collaboration with NOVARTIS and UBCr)
2008/09 - PTHrP and PTHrP receptor in bone and liver metastasis
» Science and Society Activities
» Selected Publications
2008 Bolsa de Investigação "NRS-LPCC/Terry Fox" (awarded to Sandra Casimiro, project "Mechanisms of invasion and progression of cancer in bone: Molecular profiling of matrix and adhesion-related molecules in metastatic disease")
» Useful Links
- I. Alho, M. Clara Bicho, R. Carvalho, A. P. da Silva, L. Costa, M. Bicho (2008) Low molecular weight protein tyrosine phosphatase genetic polymorphism and susceptibility for cancer development. Cancer Genetics and Cytogenetics, 181: 20-24.
- M. Aapro, F. Saad, L. Costa (2008) Optimizing clinical benefits of bisphosphonates in cancer patients with bone metastases. Oncologist, in press.
- L. Costa, X. Badia, E. Chow, A. Lipton, A. Wardley (2008) Impact of skeletal complications on patients' quality of life, mobility, and functional independence. Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer, in press.
- M. Aapro, P. A. Abrahamsson, J. J. Body, R. E. Coleman, R. Colomer, L. Costa, L. Crino`, L. Dirix, M. Gnant, J. Gralow, P. Hadji, G. N. Hortobagyi, W. Jonat, A. Lipton, A. Monnier, A. H. G. Paterson, R. Rizzoli, F. Saad, B. Thurlimann (2008) Guidance on the use of bisphosphonates in solid tumours: recommendations of an international expert panel. Annals of Oncology, 19: 420-432.
- L. Costa (2007) Bisphosphonates: Reducing the risk of skeletal complications from bone metastasis. The Breast, 16, 16-20.
- S.M. Ali, L.M. Demers, K. Leitzel, H.A. Harvey, D. Clemens, N. Mallinack, L. Engle, V. Chinchilli, L. Costa, C. Brady, J. Seaman, A. Lipton (2004) Baseline serum NTx levels are prognostic in metastatic breast cancer patients with bone-only metastasis. Annals of Oncology, 15: 455-459.
- L. Demers, L. Costa, A. Lipton (2003) Biochemical markers and skeletal metastases. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 415S: 1-10.
- L. Costa, L.M. Demers, A. Gouveia-Oliveira, J. Schaller, E.B. Costa, M.C. Moura, A. Lipton (2002) Prospective evaluation of the peptide-bound collagen type I cross-links N-telopeptide and C-telopeptide in predicting bone metastases status. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 20: 850-856.
- M. Mandal, R. Vadlamudi, D. Nguyen, R.-A. Wang, L. Costa, Ro. Bagheri-Yarmand, J. Mendelson, R. Kumar (2001) Growth factors regulate heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein K expression and function. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 276 (13): 9699-9704.
- S.M. Ali, F.J. Esteva, G. Hortobagyi, H. Harvey, J. Seaman, R. Knight, L. Costa, A. Lipton (2001) Safety and efficacy of bisphosphonates beyond 24 months in cancer patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 19 (14): 3434-3437.
- A. Lipton, L. Costa, S. Ali, L. Demers (2001) Use of markers of bone turnover for monitoring bone metastases and the response to therapy. Seminars in Oncology, 28 (4), supp 11: 54-59.